Fall is the BEST time to Plant!
- Annuals & Perennials-Pansies, violas, ornamental cabbage/kale, cyclamen, mums, snapdragons, crotons, ornamental peppers, dianthus, salvia, gaura, coreopsis, asters, sedum, coral bells, and more. Dig, divide & replant spring flowering perennials (daylilies, iris, oxalis, coneflowers, Shasta daisies).
- Spring-blooming bulbs – Plant daffodils now. Refrigerate tulips & hyacinths for 45 days+ at 45º and plant after mid-December. October is the time to plant garlic bulbs too.
- Trees, shrubs, vines, ornamental grass. This is the best time to plant so they’ll be established by summer.
- Annual or perennial ryegrass and fescue seed early in the month for green grass all winter.
- Perennials by removing seed heads, dead foliage and old flowers.
- Shrubs as needed to reshape and remove dead branches—save major pruning for late winter.
- Trees as needed to remove dead or damaged limbs—save major limbs for late fall or early winter. Remove unwanted surface roots—limit removal to 1 or 2 significant roots each year.
- Tropical plants you want to move indoors for the winter.
- Potted plants & flower beds in sunny areas still need regular watering. Water shrubs & trees less often, but deeply to produce hardier, better rooted plants. Hand water areas that don’t get sprinkled. Use soaker hoses or drip irrigation for more efficient water usage.
- Trees installed for less than two years must have special care to ensure a strong and healthy root system. See our Plant Article Tree Care for the First Two Years for all the details.
- To improve water retention, add Soil Moist & Expanded Shale or Covington’s Soil Builder which contains compost, greensand, and expanded shale (holds 38% of its weight in water). Covington’s Soil Builder also breaks up clay, adds nutrients, & revitalizes microbial activity.
- Top dress landscape/flower beds with 2-3 inch layer of mulch to help retain moisture, reduce weeds, and maintain soil temperature. Treat lawn & landscaped areas with Hydretain for greater soil moisture retention.
CONVENTIONAL FERTILIZATION, WEED, DISEASE & PEST CONTROL SOLUTIONS
- Pansies & other annuals w/Covington’s Premium Flower & Garden Fertilizer or Hi-Yield Blood & Bone Meal.
- Herbs and vegetables with Covington’s Premium Flower & Garden Fertilizer or ferti-lome Gardeners Special.
- Newly planted trees and shrubs every 3-4 weeks for the first year with ferti-lome Root Stimulator.
- Trees, shrubs, vines, groundcovers, and perennials with Covington’s Tree and Shrub Fertilizer.
- Lawn w/Covington’s High Performance all Nitrogen 25-0-0 early in the month for quick greening OR use Covington’s Premium Lawn Fertilizer 21-7-14 as the last application for the year to winter over the lawn.
- Roses with ferti-lome Rose Food or ferti-lome Rose Food with Systemic Insecticide.
- Iron-deficient plants with Iron or ferti-lome Soil Acidifier Plus Iron to encourage greening.
- Strengthen foliage & increase production on fruit/pecan trees next year with ferti-lome Fruit, Citrus & Pecan Fertilizer.
WEED & DISEASE CONTROL:
- Spot treat broadleaf weeds such as dandelion, henbit & clover in St. Augustine or Bermuda grass with ferti-lome Weed Out.
- Apply Bonide Infuse to St. Augustine for fungal infections including Gray Leaf Spot and Brown Patch.
- Use ferti-lome Systemic Fungicide for powdery mildew, disease & fungi on hawthorn, photinias, roses, etc.
INSECT & PEST CONTROL:
- Use Bonide Insect and Grub Control Granules for grub & cinch bug control.
- To control fire ant mounds/infestations, use Hi-Yield Fire Ant Control.
- Use Hi-Yield Slug & Snail Killer to control slugs and snails on flowers and foliage, or use Bonide Slug Magic in children’s play areas and areas near pets.
- Control aphids, spider mites, mealy bugs, thrips, & other problem insects w/Bonide Systemic Insect Control.
- For best control of scale & to kill borers in the trunks of trees, use Bonide or Ferti-lome Systemic Insect Drench which protects for months.
- For armyworms, webworms & cankerworms, and grasshoppers, use Bonide Eight Insecticide or Hi-Yield 55% Malathion.
- For elm tree damage from elm leaf beetle larva use Bonide Eight (contact killer with Permethrin).
- Continue spray program for fruit and nut trees. Use ferti-lome Triple Action or Bonide Fruit Tree Spray.
ORGANIC FERTILIZATION, WEED, DISEASE & PEST CONTROL SOLUTIONS
- Newly planted trees and shrubs with Liquid Fish & Seaweed to help prevent transplant shock, increase beneficial microorganisms, and encourage root development.
- Flowers, perennials, and roses with Happy Frog Acid Loving Fertilizer.
- Turf, shrubs, and trees with Good Natured Texas 2-Step Fertilizer,
- Vegetable gardens with Happy Frog Tomato & Vegetable Fertilizer.
- Use Corn Gluten Meal 9-0-0 to feed turf and prevent weeds. Also spread Dry Molasses to enhance weed control and encourage healthy soil.
- Apply Garrett Juice Plus once a month to your landscape to increase beneficial micro-organisms in the soil.
- Add Texas Greensand for deep greening in lawns, trees and landscape plants.
WEEDS & DISEASE CONTROL:
- Spot treat grassy and broadleaf weeds with 20% Vinegar. Add 2 oz. of Orange Oil per gallon of vinegar to enhance the kill on weeds and grasses.
- Apply Horticultural Corn Meal on landscape plants, vegetables, and turf grass for disease control.
INSECT & PEST CONTROL:
- Use ferti-lome Come and Get It Spinosad Bait for protection from fire ants. To treat individual fire ant mounds, use 3 to 4 ounces of Orange Oil per gallon of water as a mound drench. Spray Orange Oil in areas infested with pillbugs, sow bugs, ants and spiders.
- Repel mosquitoes with Cedar Warrior Granules or spray Bonide Mosquito Beater. Use Mosquito Bits with BTI to kill mosquito larvae in standing water & to control fungus gnats in flower beds and containers.
- For army worms, webworms & cankerworms on shrubs/trees, use Hi-Yield Thuricide at dusk or Spinosad.
- For bugs & fungus use ferti-lome Triple Action Plus containing Neem Oil. Safe to use on fruit trees.
- Spray Bonide All Season Oil for scale on holly, crape myrtles & fruit trees. In hot weather, use these oil products in early morning or evening!
- Control slugs & snails with Bonide Slug with Spinosad.
- Use Diatomaceous Earth for crawling insects and grasshoppers.
- To deter pesky flower and plant-munching rabbits, use Rabbit Scram and/or Bonide Repels-All spray.
- Get rid of armadillos with eco-friendly Armadillo Repellant in a convenient hose end sprayer.
For professional landscape design & installation; lawn, tree & shrub fertilization; or weed/disease/insect control, please call our Landscape Services Team at 972-475-5888 Ext. 119.